Welcome to Marshall Shaker. We are very glad you’re here and we hope that you have a wonderful time visiting our fine art gallery and boutique. We think that there is a little something for everyone; whether you are collector of art, a voracious reader, or an avid traveller, we hope to provide you with a wonderful experience, and we hope you will come back and visit us regularly. In addition, we look forward to hearing from you, so please feel free to comment on the things you read, or the things you purchase from our site.
We have grown into the little company with a lot of heart. We offer our own luxurious line of soaps and candles, we feature regularly changing products from around the world, and a blog line that offers everything from travel to art history. But most importantly, we will continue to feature artisans who create beautiful things. We provide a stage for their work, without the crippling commissions that galleries usually charge.
Hi. I’m Christie, but most of my friends just call me Fifer. And I’m the face behind Marshall Shaker. I’m a full time artist, I live in Key West, Florida, and I think I am one of the luckiest people in the world. I live on a tropical green island, surrounded by vivid blue waters, and I have a great family and epic friends all of whom I love very much.
I started Marshall Shaker for a number of reasons. I wanted to create a platform to display my work, and it all just grew from there. With a background in design, it seemed a perfect fit to also offer a line of decorative items. And I just have never been able to find good soap.
And soooo, here are a few things you might not know about me:
- In another life, I was a high school teacher for 15 years. And I loved it. It taught me to look, and to see, and to listen very completely. It taught me great patience, the value of a sense of humor, and that there is always a new chapter to be written. It taught me that personal growth is exciting, and important, and scary, and if you’re going to do it, just go ahead and jump in the pool. Then one day, all of a sudden, I took my own advice.
- I am ridiculously silly, laugh loudly, and love fully.
- I grew up in family where we were taught to love nature. It was ok to have jars of caterpillars, books of pressed leaves, and boxes of cool rocks and fossils.
- I have (on many occasions) stopped traffic to help a turtle get across the street.
- I am an avid sports fan and have been known to lose entire days to the Masters, the NFL, and March Madness.
- As much as I love the sea, I am afraid of its hugeness. I’m also not a fan of barracudas; they stare.
- I love old things, tattered things, things with layers of old paint. Growing up, our house was full of beautiful old antiques, where each piece told its own quiet story.
- When it comes to my art, I’m a perfectionist. I research the research, just to get the absolute correct font, color, etc.
- I really do read all the placards at museums.
- I love to travel, anywhere, anytime. I am fascinated by other cultures, foods, and languages. I spoke french as a kid. “I just wish the world was twice as big, and half of it was still unexplored.” -David Attenborough
- OH! And so, who is Marshall Shaker? He is every fabulous trip I’ve ever taken, and every book I’ve ever read. He knows that gifts are always more fun to give than to receive. He is every long road I’ve ever had to hike, and he is the shady tree at the end of it. He is the best of storytellers, and a collector of treasures. He is ridiculously brave, perhaps even foolhardy, and works hard at helping others find courage within themselves. He is every lesson – some harder than others – and he is every single windy, rainy, sunshiny day. Marshall Shaker is a wonderful magical combination of all the people and things who have come into my life in one way or another, some for a long while, and others for just a moment, who have helped to make This Very Day a glorious one.
Hi. I’m Marisol, and I’m the Sol in SolDesigns and co-owner of Key West Web Designs (KWWD). When Fifer asked if all her outlandish ideas for a website could be done, we said no problem. As an artist myself, I know how important your web presence can be to the success of your business. And so, after an emotional meeting, lots of sketches and discussions, our relationship began. We camped out at Starbucks, had lots of coffees and teas, put plans in place, and voila, we developed the masterpiece that is Marshall Shaker, a unique online boutique.
Lucky to call Key West home, my husband and I moved here to semi-retire and enjoy the island life. Three short months after moving here, we found out we were pregnant, and 2 years after that, we were pregnant again. As the saying goes, it must have been something in the water. So now we are a family of 4, living the dream on this beautiful island and enjoying everything nature has to offer (and I am definitely not retired anymore!)
So I am now back to full time designing and programming and I was honored when Fifer asked us to help with her new site. It’s hard to find an artist who also programs, but luckily I am both. With a Bachelors in Fine Art, not only can I make the visions a reality, I can also make them work.
We really hope you love the site and enjoy all our hard work. We welcome any feedback you may have. And if you need a masterpiece of your own, feel free to contact me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.